Cusco is considered one of the most important cities in Peru and is the old centre of the Inca empire.
Named as a patrimonial centre of world culture, it is one of the most often visited, largely because of its important archaeological remains, tourist attractions, original Inca walls, traditional costumes, colonial churches constructed on top of Inca palaces, legendary Inca trails and much more. With a glorious past that enchants visitors, Cusco still conserves a great diversity of ancient customs and a rich blend of Inca and colonial architecture.
DAY 1: CITY TOUR 1/2 DAY
Reception at the Airport or other location and transport to your chosen hotel or hostal. Rest of the morning for acclimatization.
To begin this circuit we will pick you up from your hotel (1:00-1:30pm) to visit the following attractions until 6:45pm approximately.
- Cusco Cathedral.-We start the tour with the Cathedral of Cusco, The Church of the Sacred Family and the Church of the Triumph (optional).
- Temple of Koricancha.-Also known as the Temple of the Sun with its perfect architecture and Stone constructions, was the most important temple of the Inca empire.
- Sacsayhuaman.-In Inca times this was a religious centre of great importance, attributed to the last dynasties. It consists of a series of huge walls built in a zig-zag shape, using monumentally sized stones, with each of these walls forming a platform behind it. These walls are around 360 meters in length, with some of the stones being as big as 9 meters in height and 5 meters in width. It is located 2 km from Cusco itself.
- Qenqo.-This was a ceremonial center constructed in the middle of a monolithic rock, possibly in the shape of an animal that was one of the principal deities, and surrounded by small niches where offerings were left.
- Pucapucara.- An old inn and guard point of the type that existed throughout the Inca trails. Its construction is of a basic type, including streets houses and yards.
- Tambomachay.-Located 9km from the city, it is known as a bathing place of the Inca, because of its water fountains. It could also have been a temple dedicated to the worship of water.
After the visit we will return to Cusco.
DAY 2: SACRED VALLEY OF THE INCAS, 1 DAY
We will pick you up from your hotel at 8:00-8:30am. We then begin our trip, first visiting the craft market in Ccorao after which we begin our tour of the three best archaeological sites in the valley. We start with Pisaq, an impressive construction, built in the peak of the Inca Empire. Here we can observe some of the impressive works achieved by the Inca, with an endless series of agricultural terraces which adorn almost all the mountainsides of the area, as well as fine buildings occupied by the Inca nobility for 500 years. Then we move on to the modern village of Pisaq, which is located on the right bank of the river Urubamba and populated almost exclusively by the descendants of the Inca. Here we will visit a picturesque artisan market, a great place for those looking for authentic souvenirs of their trip. One can fine a great variety of items, such as clothing made from alpaca wool, silver and gold jewelry and much more. Then we continue our journey to Urubamba where we will enjoy a delicious buffet lunch.
After lunch we head to the village of Ollaytantambo, where will visit the beautiful fortress of the same name. Here will take a look at the most important sectors of the site with a guided tour. After the tour we will head back toward Cusco and on the way we also visit the picturesque village of Chinchero, famous for its cloth, and where we can see ruins of the royal lodge of Inca Tupac Yupanqui. We can admire the well-preserved Inca wall in the main square, visit a beautiful colonial temple with interesting frescos in the portico, built on Inca foundations. We arrive back in Cusco around 7:00pm.
DAY 3:MACHUPICCHU 1 FULL DAY
The hotel pick-up will be at 2:30-3:00am, depending on the departure of the train. Very early in the morning we will go to Ollantaytambo train station and at 5:07am we will board the train destined for the majestic sanctuary of Machupicchu. During the journey we will be able to appreciate the beauty of the Andean valleys and indigenous villages of the area, until arriving at Aguas Calientes, a town close to Machupicchu itself. We will meet up with our guide with free time for breakfast. Then we will take a bus for a thirty minute journey that will take us to the sanctuary, where we will begin our unique experience of this amazing monument. Our guided tour of the Inca complex will be for two hours approximately, around the most important parts of the site, such as Temple of the Sun, the Intihuana (sacred rocks), Temple of the Three Windows, Temple of the Condor, The Mausoleum among many other fascinating places. Then you will have time to explore and take photographs on your own. In the afternoon we will return to Aguas Calientes for lunch and visit the thermal baths while we wait for our train back to Ollantaytambo, where will then take a transport back to Cusco.
Free time in the morning and return to your destination.
To do this tour you need a tourist ticket (Boleto Turistico General) which is valid for 10 days. With this ticket you can do the City Tour, Sacred Valley, Maras Moray, South Valley and museums within the City of Cusco.
Student (younger than 25 years): S/ 70.00
Partial Tourist Ticket:
This ticket is valid only for one day and can be used for the City Tour, Sacred Valley, Moray or the South Valley.
For non-Peru nationals:
Adult: S/ 40.00
Note: There is no student price for this ticket.
More information here. http://www.cosituc.gob.pe/tarifas.php
AVAILABLE DISCOUNTS: From USD 20 for students with a valid ISIC Card, younger than 17 years of age and from the Andean Community (COLOMBIA, ECUADOR , BOLIVIA ), presented with a document of identification and/or student card.
NOTE: The entrance to Huaynapicchu must be confirmed at the moment of making the reservation and is subject to availability (400 places maximum per day, first group of places from 7:00-8:00am, second group of 200 from 10:00-1100am).